Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cilantro: Love it or hate it?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Love it!
57%
It's okay
17%
Meh.
9%
Hate it!
4%
Other
13%

Total votes : 23
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Cilantro, from the garden! Destined for a Thai-style curry tonight. Quick poll: Cilantro: Love it or hate it?

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Cilantro: Love it or hate it?

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Neither. I like it, although it doesn't really get me excited and it doesn't seem as versatile (for our cooking patterns) as some other herbs (parsley and oregano are probably the standards, plus dill and rosemary).

That said, the past few weeks I've been regularly making various cilantro sauces, with lime, garlic, pumpkin seeds, oils, various additions depending on the dish. And it's all been delicious.
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:04 am

Pretty much agree with Rahsaan. It's good in dishes where it belongs (Thai, Mexican, etc) but otherwise not too exciting.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:12 am

I only like it when it's used sparingly. Many restaurants use too much and it overpowers the rest of the ingredients.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:12 am

Recently discovered the Yemenite condiment , Schug, which is cilantro, garlic, hot green peppers with small amounts of cardamom and caraway.....Love cilantro for things like this.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:42 am

I've brought up the DNA testing firm, 23andMe, before -- one thing they are trying to do is figure out why some people hate cilantro. I think that "loving" it may involve a lot of acculturation, like other tastes (black coffee, beer, garlic). But "hating" it may have to do with whether you are homozygotic for some kind of soapy smell gene. If something really smells like soap to you, you are not going to want to put it in your mouth.

I like it, and I would go along with Ottolenghi's assertion somewhere in his cookbooks, that several Italian dishes would be improved by the use of cilantro, which of course is a cultural no no. When I was making Khoreshe Karafs, a Persian lamb stew, for a crowd I embarrassed myself by buying cilantro by mistake instead of parsley -- and I didn't have time to "fix" the error so I just went ahead and used a ton of it in the dish. Everyone liked it. I had been sure that there would be a few cilantro haters who would refuse to eat it but no. I read a variety of recipes later and evidently in Persian cooking, at least in that dish, the thinking is "either/or, or both" so it wasn't something that would have upset Persian diners...
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:42 pm

I could live without parsley way before I could live without cilantro. It is the backbone of so many great dishes in a variety of cuisines - Asian, Indian, Mexican... Many of these dishes have a very harmonious balance of flavors, and cilantro is key, although not overwhelming in a lot of cases. I bet most people wouldn't even know it was there in a lot of dishes if it is subtly used. Between the leaves and the seed (coriander), I think it is one of the most versatile herbs out there.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:56 pm

I like it enough to have it growing in the back yard. Darn stuff bolts, though, no sooner than it's planted.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Cilantro, from the garden!

Congratulations that is one herb I can't grow. Can never catch it before bolting! Voted for "love it."
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Even when I know a dish has cilantro in it, once in a while I bite into an area of high concentration and the taste overwhelms, if just for a few seconds - I love when that happens!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Love cilantro and do grow it but gave up this year. Like others have said, no sooner does the sun shine that it bolts. I buy it from the Asians at our Farmer's Market. They seem to know better what they are doing, They pull it out by the roots and I keep it in water, with a plastic bag over the top...like it's own greenhouse in the fridge. Keeps for at least three weeks and more. They sell it in large bunches, so I have made cilantro pesto, with pistachio, lemon or lime. Have even made it with a mix of evoo and almond or hazelnut oils. Very yummy. Not only do I use it for Thai dishes, but put it into rice just before serving, salads, sandwiches, wraps, omelets, tacos, Mexican soups, and any dish I think it would compliment.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Can never catch it before bolting!

Don't you check your garden every day, Carl? I'm pretty sure it (at least most cultivars) don't bolt within 24 or 48 hours. We view garden cilantro as a short-lived treat and try to use it a lot as soon as it starts leafing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Frank Deis wrote:... "hating" it may have to do with whether you are homozygotic for some kind of soapy smell gene. If something really smells like soap to you, you are not going to want to put it in your mouth.

I never got "soap," but I have long thought that it smells a great deal like childhood memories of sniffing the box of Crayolas. An evocative, nostaligic scent, but not one that I would normally associate with food. (Few kindergarteners try eating a crayon after the initial experiment. :mrgreen: )

I was "meh" about cilantro when I first encountered it, but recognized that it has so much use in so many cuisines that I like that I practiced aversion therapy and kept on accepting it until I eventually came to love it, so maybe I'm one of those few people who can cross the line. I love it now.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Cilantro..love the stuff like some creatures like crack nip..I mean cat nip :roll:
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Frank Deis wrote:... "hating" it may have to do with whether you are homozygotic for some kind of soapy smell gene. If something really smells like soap to you, you are not going to want to put it in your mouth.

I never got "soap," but I have long thought that it smells a great deal like childhood memories of sniffing the box of Crayolas. An evocative, nostaligic scent, but not one that I would normally associate with food. (Few kindergarteners try eating a crayon after the initial experiment. :mrgreen: )

I was "meh" about cilantro when I first encountered it, but recognized that it has so much use in so many cuisines that I like that I practiced aversion therapy and kept on accepting it until I eventually came to love it, so maybe I'm one of those few people who can cross the line. I love it now.

It's been so long that I am having a little trouble remembering but I think I went thru that too. I can remember in Grad School smelling cilantro and thinking "soap"! But it's in many cuisines that I love and I think I learned to love it. There is a remarkable amount of cilantro in dishes from Vietnam, Malaysia, Iran, Turkey, not to mention Mexico which seems to be ground zero.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42 am

I neither love nor hate it, Robin.

I use it in summer in salads and soups as well as Asian and meat dishes (chimichurri etc.) Truth be told, I probably use more coriander year round that cilantro, though.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I neither love nor hate it, Robin.

I use it in summer in salads and soups as well as Asian and meat dishes (chimichurri etc.) Truth be told, I probably use more coriander year round that cilantro, though.

Bill, if you're talking about green herbs in both cases, coriander IS cilantro. In the U.S., it's always called the latter, in Europe, always the former. In Canada, wouldn't be suprised if both names were used (and apparently, they are).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:27 pm

But put me down in the LOVE column. I adore it. Mexican and Asian, as others have mentioned, and have used it in Persian and Portugese dishes. Can be used in great quantities--it could never overpower a dish for my tastes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, if you're talking about green herbs in both cases, coriander IS cilantro. In the U.S., it's always called the latter, in Europe, always the former. In Canada, wouldn't be suprised if both names were used (and apparently, they are).

No, I was saying I am more likely to use the ground seed form of the plant than the fresh herb on a year round basis.
For the fresh herb, both names are used, cilantro being a late comer across the border, akin to other cultural blessings bestowed on us like reality shows. :mrgreen:

For some reason I've taken to using cilantro for the fresh herb and coriander for the ground as a convenience - I may be alone in that, but it seems a handy way to distinguish in my own mind, anyway.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:Bill, if you're talking about green herbs in both cases, coriander IS cilantro. In the U.S., it's always called the latter, in Europe, always the former. In Canada, wouldn't be suprised if both names were used (and apparently, they are).

No, I was saying I am more likely to use the ground seed form of the plant than the fresh herb on a year round basis.
For the fresh herb, both names are used, cilantro being a late comer across the border, akin to other cultural blessings bestowed on us like reality shows. :mrgreen:

For some reason I've taken to using cilantro for the fresh herb and coriander for the ground as a convenience - I may be alone in that, but it seems a handy way to distinguish in my own mind, anyway.

Oh, okay. I'm the other way, using very little of the seed, and then when I do it's mostly in Indian dishes and often in combination with cumin. It tastes nothing like the herb that grows from it, in my opinion. Meanwhile, our love of Mexican food brings a lot cilantro into the house.