Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Summer Sandwich Spotlight: The B.L.T.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Summer Sandwich Spotlight: The B.L.T.

by Jeff B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Or, as I prefer them, a B.L.M (Bacon, Lettuce, Mayo) :)

Feel free to share your memories/preferences for this summery sandwich.

Which wine would you pair with a B.L.T.?

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Summer Sandwich Spotlight: The B.L.T.

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Love 'em, and after moving into a voluntary animal-free diet, I've been using good quality "faux" bacon strips in FBLTs to good advantage. Fake meats actually show their best when you stick them into a flavorful, familiar surrounding that distracts attention from their difference from the real thing and just plays up the smoky flavor.

High quality is the secret throughout for me: Pastured-pork bacon if you're using the real thing, or a high-quality faux strip if you're not; I never even try to make them except when we're getting ripe, juicy heirloom beefsteak tomatoes from the garden. Good crisp lettuce, quality mayo (if not homemade) and for me, always rye toast.

C'mon early July! That's when the garden tomatoes should start coming in around here.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:04 pm

I think the choice of bread makes a big difference -- we often use a hand sliced (on the bias) semolina batard, toasted. The flavor is good but Louise often kind of balances Romaine lettuce leaves which tend to fall off into plate or lap. I actually think I like the ingredients served in a pita pocket. Half a standard size (Sahara or other) pita has enough room for a couple of strips of bacon, some lettuce, and tomato slices. You want to get the schmear of mayo in there before packing it. The lettuce can't fall out and the tomato can't drip on you. The construction is pretty much parallel to how I eat falafel, which Robin could eat unmodified. Lettuce, tomato, falafel -- plus maybe some white sauce that's half mayo and half tahine.

The other thing is -- I really like a little salt on the tomato slices. Yes the bacon is salty but unsalted tomato just seems bland and boring to me.

After a 5K last week we were given BLT wraps. Don't like that as well, the tight cylinder is a bad place to put a tomato slice.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Although I never make them, I love BLTs. As kid, it was a real treat when my Mom would make them for lunch after Sunday church. A local wine bar, Sportsman's, serves a great BLT with some of the best bacon I've ever tasted.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:38 pm

I don't make them much here, either. There's a place nearby that makes a club sandwich that has amazingly good bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, turkey that they roast on site, and avocado on good quality toasted white bread. I know it's a tarted up BLT, what with the turkey and such, but it may qualify as the consistently best sandwich I've ever had. When I get a hankering for a BLT, I go there.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Good crisp lettuce, quality mayo (if not homemade) and for me, always rye toast.

Anyone know that good rye bread that is marbled into a beautiful swirl pattern with dark and light rye? I love that bread not only for the rye taste but the beauty of it. Never have been able to find it, until this weekend. We have a locally owned funny little market just 4 minutes from here that has gone gourmet. They carry local cheeses (within 100 miles), eggs, lots of local beef, pork, chicken, locally grown veggies. They smoke and make their own sausages, bacon, all sorts of cured meats. I go out there now and then to stock up on expensive goodies and this time I found my swirled rye bread. I also found Gold Rush Swiss Cheese, which I love. I can't wait to make a toasted Swiss Cheese sandwich with my new rye bread find.

We also love the BLT's and have them in the summer when we can use big summer tomatoes. We used to serve these a lot when the kids were home in summer months and always had a big root beer float afterwards. Gene makes the best floats!
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Anyone know that good rye bread that is marbled into a beautiful swirl pattern with dark and light rye? I love that bread not only for the rye taste but the beauty of it.

If you watched Seinfeld (which I kinda doubt) you would know that there was an entire show about exactly that kind of rye. There was a hilarious scene where George had a fishing pole stuck out of the window, reeling up the loaf of marble rye... But you probably had to be there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rye
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 am

I love BLTs so long as you add another slice of bread or toast and fill it with sliced turkey or chicken, salt, pepper, and cranberry jelly.
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Mmmmmm. Toasted roasted garlic bread, sliced medium thick, sliced Oregon Spring tomatoes, bacon and arugula with just enough Best Foods Light mayo. Maybe the best sandwiches I have ever made. If I can't get or grow great tomatoes, then a BLAT - bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato. Avocados can make up for many defects and not just in sandwiches.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Defnitely avocados and a moderate squirt of Sriracha..that's not heresy, is it? :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:33 pm

No mayo! Just butter the toast.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Jenise wrote:No mayo! Just butter the toast.

I'll give that a try. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:13 am

There's so many variables in BLT.

Since the first one I ever had was in the US and I loved it, then to my mind

Bacon - has to be that American bacon, thin and cooked very crispy
Lettuce - has to be crunchy Iceberg
Tomato - has to be meaty
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

Frank Deis wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Anyone know that good rye bread that is marbled into a beautiful swirl pattern with dark and light rye? I love that bread not only for the rye taste but the beauty of it.

If you watched Seinfeld (which I kinda doubt) you would know that there was an entire show about exactly that kind of rye. There was a hilarious scene where George had a fishing pole stuck out of the window, reeling up the loaf of marble rye... But you probably had to be there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rye

Seinfield is funny at times, sort of a mindless bunch of folks. I preferred an earlier sitcom, "All In The Family". I watched that show for a long time. Archie and his wife were my favorite characters. Archie sort of reminded me of my grandfather. Of course, Edith, sweet Edith....she was a sweetheart.

I would have related to that Rye Bread scene. These days I prefer to watch and listen to programming that I can learn from...the same with reading. I like to be able to talk with our adult children about things that interest them, and at the same time relate to 7 grandchildren, ages 7 to 24. The world keeps changing and I try and roll with it! :lol:
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:47 am

Sliced cracked wheat bread, toasted. Fresh home grown or farmers market tomato, peeled and thickly sliced, Hellmans or Best mayo, spread on the top slice of toasted bread. The mayo has to be spread right up to the crust and not too thick! Then, instead of lettuce, leaves of freshly picked Italian basil. Thick sliced bacon fried to almost crisp and to complete the ingredients, some freshly ground pepper. The basil is placed on the bottom piece of toasted bread, then the bacon topped with the tomato and a little black pepper, covered by the mayo covered 2nd piece of toast.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:40 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:Sliced cracked wheat bread, toasted. Fresh home grown or farmers market tomato, peeled and thickly sliced, Hellmans or Best mayo, spread on the top slice of toasted bread. The mayo has to be spread right up to the crust and not too thick! Then, instead of lettuce, leaves of freshly picked Italian basil. Thick sliced bacon fried to almost crisp and to complete the ingredients, some freshly ground pepper. The basil is placed on the bottom piece of toasted bread, then the bacon topped with the tomato and a little black pepper, covered by the mayo covered 2nd piece of toast.

What is the right knife to use to spread the mayo? Or, is it all good so long as I'm working under a pyramid oriented to true North? :lol:
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:10 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:What is the right knife to use to spread the mayo? Or, is it all good so long as I'm working under a pyramid oriented to true North? :lol:

Jeff, I learned as a young child at my grandparents the correct knife, spoon or fork to deal with mayo is is anyone but an old silverplated utensil with plating worn off. Ever have the experience?

One of the things I look forward to most in summer foods is the BBT sandwich. Another is the field fresh sweet corn. Together they make my favorite summer meal. A poorly made BLT is a real disappointment. Years ago I owned a sidewalk cafe. I had learned before than that it was essential to actually teach someone how to correctly make many of the sandwiches not just giving them a list on ingredients. One of the essential elements of sandwich making that is neglected is the proper amount and the placement of any condiment used. It is not something that is just throw together.

In many operations the waitstaff will also put together the standard side salad. You actually have to patiently teach them exactly the correct amount of dressing to be used. It is all part of a successful operation. It is these small things that make a great difference.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:56 am

GeoCWeyer wrote:It is not something that is just throw[n] together.

In many operations the waitstaff will also put together the standard side salad. You actually have to patiently teach them exactly the correct amount of dressing to be used. It is all part of a successful operation. It is these small things that make a great difference.

Agreed. It indicates that the owner cares what happens at the restaurant. And it makes the food taste better.