Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What is your idea of the "correct" coney dog?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

What is your idea of the "correct" coney dog?

by Jeff B » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:22 pm

I thought it might be interesting to hear what regional variations exist when it comes to making the perfect coney dog. Is ketchup allowed? Relish?

Around here, the signature coney dog is a koegel's hot dog with ground beef coney sauce, mustard and diced onions. That's it!

Using "chili sauce" is generally seen as being non-authentic. It has to be ground beef to be a "coney".

I also rarely if ever see ketchup or relish on a traditional coney, although yours truly has been known to add a little ketchup now and again. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: What is your idea of the "correct" coney dog?

by Fred Sipe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Jeff B wrote:I thought it might be interesting to hear what regional variations exist when it comes to making the perfect coney dog. Is ketchup allowed? Relish?

Around here, the signature coney dog is a koegel's hot dog with ground beef coney sauce, mustard and diced onions. That's it!

Using "chili sauce" is generally seen as being non-authentic. It has to be ground beef to be a "coney".

I also rarely if ever see ketchup or relish on a traditional coney, although yours truly has been known to add a little ketchup now and again. :)

Jeff

All beef dog (my rule) + ground beef type coney sauce, and if you want it finely diced onion. I want it. To me, mustard and/or ketchup muddy the mix with the coney sauce.

Edited to add, to make it perfect, butter the bun and sprinkle with a little garlic powder then brown on a grill or under a broiler.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Must be an "east of the Mississippi" thing. I've heard of such things but have never seen one.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Mike, it's not just east of the Mississippi, it's pretty much only Michigan (though some will include Ohio). It's not even all of Michigan, only reason I know of Coney dogs is my Grand Rapids B-i-L says " in Detroit they have these 'coney dogs' "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_hot_dog
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:57 pm

And from Linda Stradley's website this:

Feltman's Restaurant and Pavilion - Coney Island, New York:

1867 - Charles Feltman (1841-1910), a German baker, opened up the first Coney Island hot dog stand in Brooklyn, New York. Some historical accounts say he was a butcher, but according to his great grandson, he was a baker.

According to his great grandson, Charles Robert Feltman:

In order to sell his bakery goods to the men who were building Brooklyn he offered them a hot lunch of a sausage on a bun, thus the beginning of the hot dog. His bakery was located at the corner of 6th Ave and 10th St in Brooklyn. He sold 3,684 sausages in a roll during his first year in business. He is also credited with the idea of the warm bun. I believe the fiction of him being a butcher was started by a competitor.

According to the article Coney Island: Food & Dining by Jeffrey Stanton:

In 1867 Charles Feltman owned a pie-wagon that delivered his freshly baked pies to the inns and lager-beer saloons that lined Coney Island's beaches. His clients also wanted hot sandwiches to serve to their customers. But his wagon was small and he knew that it would be hard to manage making a variety of sandwiches in a confined space. He thought that perhaps something simple like a hot sausage served on a roll might be the solution. He presented his problem to Donovan, the wheel-wright on East New York and Howard Street in Brooklyn, who had built his pie-wagon. The man saw no problem in building a tin-lined chest to keep the rolls fresh and rigging a small charcoal stove inside to boil sausages.

When the wheel-wright finished the installation they fired up the stove for a test run. Donovan thought that the sausage sandwich was a strange idea but he was willing to try it as Feltman boiled the succulent pork sausage and placed between a roll. The wheel-wright tasted the it and liked it. Thus the hot-dog was born.
no avatar
User

Bill Morgan

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Bloomington, Indiana

by Bill Morgan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:51 pm

The only coney dog I ever eat is from Gold Star Chili in the Cincinati area. That's Cincinati style chili (think Greek flavors, NO BEANS) on a tiny little hot dog with a ton of finely shredded cheddar cheese. I like mine with mustard, onion and hot sauce. Skyline is a little better-known outside Cincy, and it's pretty similar, but we prefer Gold Star.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Must be an "east of the Mississippi" thing. I've heard of such things but have never seen one.

I'm with you. Ground beef sauce? :shock:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Must be an "east of the Mississippi" thing. I've heard of such things but have never seen one.

Chili Dog, I guess.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Chili Dog, I guess.

Not quite. Dale's wiki link says, "A coney dog is not to be confused with a chili dog, a more generic chili-topped hot dog." So stop that right now. ;)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:And from Linda Stradley's website this

Karen, check out Dale's wikipedia link. Hot dogs on Coney Island are one thing, but the "Coney" dog of Michigan and the ground beef sauce is a unique regional variation.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Now y'all got me craving a visit to a Cincinnati chili parlor. A 4-Way washed down with 3 coneys (cheese, chili and onion please).
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 pm

This thread is making me hungry.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:27 pm

In Minnesota, a hot dog, usually boiled or heated on a steam table, the standard hot dog bun, & a "chili"sauce. The "chili" sauce contains ground beef and has a tomato, and paprika base with a dash of chili powder added. No beans! The extras offered are yellow mustard, chopped onions and yellow/orange cheese atop it all. Ketchup on a Coney/chili dog just isn't/shouldn't be done! Almost embarrassing if you are with someone who adds ketchup! The hot dogs used here for coneys are usually skinless, but could be skin on.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain