Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I made a mess of my Coconut Jasmine Rice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

I made a mess of my Coconut Jasmine Rice

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Gene grilled Adobo Chicken and it came out beautifully, only it cooked very fast...40 minutes. My jasmine rice was still cooking, and since we got started on dinner a little late, I tried to hurry it along...big mistake. What I ended up with was a bit of a crusty, undercooked rice on the bottom, with lots of undercooked rice kernels throughout. It was tasty but the texture was awful. It has toasted coconut and coconut milk in it.
Can I fix it?

I even thought about throwing it into a crock pot with some red beans, ham hock, etc. and trying to figure out how I could adapt it to the coconut. Humm.

Maybe I could make some sort of fried rice? Any ideas? A friend said to toss it! Hate doing that. :roll:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: I made a mess of my Coconut Jasmine Rice

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Onigiri -- Make patties and sear it, long and hard. Toasty rice is good.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. Hope you didn't toss it. Rice takes well to steaming as well as boiling. It's the way I learned to cook rice as a child. We would boil it for about 10 minutes, then turn it into a colander, rinse, shake off excess moisture and steam for about another 5-10 minutes, add butter add fluff. The result was always fluffy, perfectly cooked rice. You could just as easily turn the rice into a colander fitted over a proper sized pot of boiling water underneath and a lid to cover. Steam for about 10 minutes, then fluff, taste and steam another few minutes (if required) to get the desired doneness. You are not going to totally soften the rice that is crispy from the bottom of the pan, but the rest should become more tender.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Sorry I'm just now seeing this. Hope you didn't toss it. Rice takes well to steaming as well as boiling. It's the way I learned to cook rice as a child. We would boil it for about 10 minutes, then turn it into a colander, rinse, shake off excess moisture and steam for about another 5-10 minutes, add butter add fluff. The result was always fluffy, perfectly cooked rice. You could just as easily turn the rice into a colander fitted over a proper sized pot of boiling water underneath and a lid to cover. Steam for about 10 minutes, then fluff, taste and steam another few minutes (if required) to get the desired doneness. You are not going to totally soften the rice that is crispy from the bottom of the pan, but the rest should become more tender.

I did just what was said on here about steaming...worked great, very tasty....added some fresh cilantro and chives and it was great. Thanks! :D First time I have screwed up rice. :oops:
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Glad this worked out, I'm taking notes, love Jo Ann's suggestion.

With regular rice I have developed the habit of checking on it -- we normally buy basmati rice for daily use, and of course there is a 2:1 ratio of water to rice. After maybe 10 minutes in the pan, you can't see the water, it looks like all rice. At that point I turn off the heat and keep the pan covered for another several minutes, I think what is happening is that it is basically steaming itself in the hot pan. Always turns out well.

With Japanese rice I really can only cook it well in the rice cooker -- after washing and soaking a bit, the koshihikari rice gets a ratio of about 1.1 : 1 water to rice (there is a little residual water from the washing). And then the cooker always cooks it to perfection, I think that also amounts to a steaming process but not sure exactly what's happening.

I made my most terrible rice blunder when I was trying to impress an Asian guest. A Chinese girl who is friends with my son came to supper, and I thought something like, the rice cooker always works so well, maybe I can cook jasmine rice in it. But the ratio should be 2:1, right, because that's what it always is with "regular" rice. I ended up with a gooey paste and I think I kind of tried to serve it (we didn't have a backup, it was one of those worst case scenario situations). She said "is THAT rice?" I said "well, it used to be..."

I'd love to know how to cook Chinese rice in a Japanese rice cooker. Probably the obvious thing to try would be the 1:1 ratio that I use with Japanese sticky rice. Or not?