Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

White Pepper Grinder

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

White Pepper Grinder

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

I have an assortment of peppers, and salts that I've been playing with. Over the years, I've had numerous pepper and salt grinders, but have settled on the Unicorn for my choice of a good grinder that delivers every time. I ordered some extra-bold pepper from Penzey's and wanted to put it into my smaller black Unicorn but
Malaysian Sarawak white peppercorns were in it. I wondered why Unicorn did not make a white one....or maybe they do now....so I checked and sure enough there is a small white one with it's own pepper dust catcher. It arrived today and I filled it with my white peppercorns. Next to my stove I have quite a collection of salt and pepper grinders. They look very gourmet, and are the ones I use the most. Very fun. So how about you, do you play around with different salts, and peppers? How do you have them set up for delivery to food?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: White Pepper Grinder

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:40 pm

Karen, I love to use white pepper in certain dishes, mostly either for appearance - I don't want black flyspecks :oops: in a white sauce - or for flavor, when that distinctly different gentle-but-pungent white pepper flavor is what I'm after.

Oddly, though, I've never thought about getting a dedicated grinder. Instead, I have a small porcelain mortar-and-pestle at my kitchen work station, and when I'm needing white pepper, I grab a few pepper corns and grind to order.

The other one that comes to mind is Sichuan peppercorns, which I think is a different botanical family than the true peppers, but they sure look and act like peppercorns! I always dry-toast them in a small black iron skillet, then grind. It keeps well, so I'll usually grind an ounce or two and keep it in a small airtight vial. Just used some tonight for Ma Po Tofu!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:48 pm

I have one for black, one for white, and one for grains of paradise. The black is Penzey's Tellicherry Extra Bold, which the grinder does not handle smoothly (and, yes, that annoys me). The grains of paradise are from a nearby shop; I use them as an alternative to black pepper but only occasionally. And, as my recent spice cabinet clean-up proved, I own two white peppers (Indonesian Muntok and Malaysian Sarawak) and I don't know which one is in the grinder!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:24 am

We don't have a grinder for white pepper, which means that I end up using it less than I should. I'll have to check into getting a small one for that purpose.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:29 am

Boy, do I have pepper grinders!

- one that grinds fine, medium or coarse
- one for white pepper
- one that is so coarse that it's effectively cracked pepper
- one that grinds a mixture of red, green, black and white (mostly for show)
- a one handed grinder for times when I'm salting/peppering meat on all sides and don't want to be washing my hands between sides
- individual small grinders for dinner parties

No salt grinders, but I do have containers of fleur du sel, fine sea salt and Maldon sea salt at hand.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:09 pm

We use two very old Peugeot's for cooking, one brown w/black and one tan w/white. On the table we have an acrylic grinder with multicolored pepper in it.