Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Magical Fruit/Butter Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Very simple fruit sauce. I think I picked it up from Steamy Kitchen a long time ago. Really tasty and couldn't be any easier. I'm about to sear some scallops. Using apricot.

In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1/3 cup butter. Add 2 tablespoons fruit preserves (apricot, mango-jalapeno, blackberry, etc.), 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, a good turn of the pepper mill and a generous pinch of salt.

Pour this over whatever your little heart desires.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Magical Fruit/Butter Sauce

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:44 am

Las night I had nectarine and strawberry parfaits with vanilla bean ice cream. Our guests loved a taste they could not figure out. I macerated the fruit in dark brown sugar with a drizzle of balsamic. The fruit had that interesting punch of sweetness, and the resulting liquid moved down to the bottom of the parfait vessel for a delightful surprise with the last few bites. Finally, my neighbor said, "there is brown sugar in here, but what is the rest?" It was really good!
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Magical Fruit/Butter Sauce

by Fred Sipe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Las night I had nectarine and strawberry parfaits with vanilla bean ice cream. Our guests loved a taste they could not figure out. I macerated the fruit in dark brown sugar with a drizzle of balsamic. The fruit had that interesting punch of sweetness, and the resulting liquid moved down to the bottom of the parfait vessel for a delightful surprise with the last few bites. Finally, my neighbor said, "there is brown sugar in here, but what is the rest?" It was really good!

Sounds heavenly! I love that little bit of piquancy from the balsamic. It is hard to pin down.