Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What wines would you serve?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

What wines would you serve?

by Gary Bobier » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Once again I beg for your wisdom. What would your pairings be for the following?

Oil pack tuna with baby green beans, aged Swiss cheese and capers with a light lemon Vinaigrette.

Linguine with pesto and chopped roasted tomatoes

Coq au Vin

Peach sorbeto ( Please no Muscat)
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

Re: What wines would you serve?

by Ken Schechet » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:21 am

I'll be glad to get this started and will be curious to see what other ideas people have.

First Course: Sauvignon Blanc probably goes best with the capers and string beans, which are the hardest to match in this dish.

Second Course: If you want a white with the pesto I'd go with an unoaked Chardonnay. If you'd prefer a red I think a simple Chianti will do fine with this.

Third Course: I hope it's not too obvious but Coq au vin just screams for Red Burgundy or possibly a California Pinot Noir.

Last Course: Lots of options here. A Moscato d'Asti would be a good choice, but if you don't want to go in that direction I think a sweet Riesling (Auslese or late harvest) would be great. Other choices that would work really well are Ice Wine, Sauternes, or any number of sparkling wines, especially demi sec or a sparkling Vouvray.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 am

> Oil pack tuna with baby green beans, aged Swiss cheese and capers with a light lemon Vinaigrette.

The lemon and vinegar will make this tricky. Sauvignon blanc is one good idea as it asserts its identity pretty well. I could also envision choosing a wine that has good acidity but does not try to compete against the rich fish and tangy capers... muscadet or vermentino.

> Linguine with pesto and chopped roasted tomatoes

A rich but vegetal white for this dish. Gruner veltliner, or maybe ribolla gialla.

> Coq au Vin

The wine it is cooked in, of course!

> Peach sorbeto ( Please no Muscat)

Brachetto d'acqui. It is gently sweet and gently fizzy... and red. Should look nice on the table next to the pale orange-yellow dessert.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:> Oil pack tuna with baby green beans, aged Swiss cheese and capers with a light lemon Vinaigrette.

The lemon and vinegar will make this tricky. Sauvignon blanc is one good idea as it asserts its identity pretty well. I could also envision choosing a wine that has good acidity but does not try to compete against the rich fish and tangy capers... muscadet or vermentino.

> Linguine with pesto and chopped roasted tomatoes

A rich but vegetal white for this dish. Gruner veltliner, or maybe ribolla gialla.

> Coq au Vin

The wine it is cooked in, of course!

> Peach sorbeto ( Please no Muscat)

Brachetto d'acqui. It is gently sweet and gently fizzy... and red. Should look nice on the table next to the pale orange-yellow dessert.

For the tuna: absolutely a Vermentino, and I know exactly which one. The 2011 Guado al Tasso Vermentino I had last weekend would kill with that dish. And btw, I never consider lemon or vinegar an issue in wine-matching as long as neither is heavy-handed. Gary knows how to cook; he won't overdo it.

A good gruner would be great with the linguine, you're right.

Re the peach sorbeto, why not a Vin Santo? I love a good brachetto, but to my tastes it's more red fruit-and-chocolate oriented.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:43 pm

First things that come to mind, right or wrong... and I'd love to know your thoughts.

Once again I beg for your wisdom. What would your pairings be for the following?

Oil pack tuna with baby green beans, aged Swiss cheese and capers with a light lemon Vinaigrette.
- Alabarino

Linguine with pesto and chopped roasted tomatoes
- Grassy Sauvignon Blanc or rich but not overly oaked Chard

Coq au Vin
- Red Burgundy. Maybe a Tempranillo?

Peach sorbeto ( Please no Muscat)
- Proseco or a Pinot Grigio?