Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New Triscuits: Brown Rice, Salt and Pepper

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

New Triscuits: Brown Rice, Salt and Pepper

by Jenise » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:43 pm

I ate two, Bob ate one, and then the box went into the trash. The texture isn't that of a woven grain. It's more a square cooked rice patty stamped to look like a woven biscuit, and the flavor is gross. Yes, there's salt and pepper, but there's also a round sweetness like vanilla ice cream in there. Weird, awful. Avoid!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: New Triscuits: Brown Rice, Salt and Pepper

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for the observations Jenise, because Triscuits is what I buy. I buy the one with three ingredients; whole grain white winter wheat, soybean oil and salt. Called Thin and Crispy, I think. Then another one that is olive oil and pepper flavor. Both are excellent.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 pm

I like the thin ones, also the Hint of Salt. Haven't liked anything else. I love the simple taste of wheat--don't need fake garlic, herbs or too much salt to make it palatable. Only something like the idea of brown rice with just salt and pepper could have intrigued me away. Definitely a disappointment. Can't even imagine a focus group of people who DO like fake garlic, too much salt and other flavorings approving of this version. A real "what were they thinking?"
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Someone at the office had a box. I second the AVOID vote. Tasted something like reconstituted cardboard paste with salt. I think there was a sweet potato one as well that seemed identically awful to me.
Have been enjoying the increasing variety of rice crackers even though the salt level is usually a bit high for my taste.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Have been enjoying the increasing variety of rice crackers even though the salt level is usually a bit high for my taste.

I agree on that. Why so much salt? I really like salt but I find rice crackers heavily oversalted. It suggests that someone thinks rice is tasteless. When I was a child my mother used to buy a rice cracker that I loved. They were rectangular and very light weight, as if they'd been made out of puffed rice that had been flattened into a smooth wafer. And they were just lightly salted. We loved them.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Speaking about salt.....I use a lot as well and I am really enjoying Maldon .Have been using it exclusively this summer as is or with dried lemon or lime zest [ hating to throw away the zest of the many citrus I use]. Use it as a finishing salt and now when I do use kosher for anything it seems terribly salty and somehow "sharp" and unpleasant.
Interesting that I never found it so before. Went thru a phase of grey sea salt that I preferred to kosher and now Maldon is IT.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:42 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Speaking about salt.....I use a lot as well and I am really enjoying Maldon .Have been using it exclusively this summer as is or with dried lemon or lime zest [ hating to throw away the zest of the many citrus I use]. Use it as a finishing salt and now when I do use kosher for anything it seems terribly salty and somehow "sharp" and unpleasant.
Interesting that I never found it so before. Went thru a phase of grey sea salt that I preferred to kosher and now Maldon is IT.

Did you find a lot of variance with gray salt? I did, some with salinity that was unacceptably high--another reason to love Maldon so much, it's so consistent. Glad you've become a fan--I don't know how anyone could go through a box and not get sold the way you and I are.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Jenise wrote:I like the thin ones, also the Hint of Salt. Haven't liked anything else.

The standard cracker at our house is Triscuit Rye, with caraway seeds. Very yum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:36 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:I like the thin ones, also the Hint of Salt. Haven't liked anything else.

The standard cracker at our house is Triscuit Rye, with caraway seeds. Very yum.

I would be so all over that--I adore Jewish rye bread WITH seeds thank you very much. But I've never seen it--maybe it only shows up in areas with a significant Jewish population?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

I would be so all over that--I adore Jewish rye bread WITH seeds thank you very much. But I've never seen it--maybe it only shows up in areas with a significant Jewish population?

No idea about Nabisco's distribution methods. Occasionally I have trouble finding them so they may not make very much.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Jeff, data point from the Winn Dixie supermarket on St. Simons Island, Georgia, two days ago: 17 different types of Triscuits (about three times what I believed existed, we don't see them up here!), but no rye. Even in a market that had a whole cold case devoted to fresh kosher pickles (of which I was a customer).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Huh. Is caraway really such an acquired taste?

Per one of Nabisco's websites, there are 22 flavors of Triscuit: http://www.snackworks.com/search/product-results.aspx?searchText=triscuit
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Maybe? Good Jewish friends of ours (origins: Hungary) absolutely despise caraway in their rye bread, as do another (non-Jewish) couple we are aware of this about. God knows who else. Seems to be polarizing. Me? LOVE IT.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Sure sign of a massive product fail: It turns up in huge quantities at a church food pantry, donated by the industry to get a tax break.

Marie Antoinette purportedly said, "Let 'em eat cake." Nabisco, it seems, says, "Let 'em eat Brown Rice Triscuit!" :mrgreen:

BRTriscuit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:44 pm

I gotta say that I'm not sure I understood the point of making a rice version of an obviously wheat cracker. But, what kind of marketing genius am I?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Oh Robin, that's FUNNY!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:06 pm

This is an old story for me. When I was working for a national non-profit dealing with hunger, homelessness and poverty back in the early '90s, I knew before anyone else that the oat bran craze was heading for a huge fail when I started seeing semis full of it backing up to food banks and dumping hundreds of pallets. We used to say that the recipients might be homeless, but at least that'd have good cardiovascular health. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:58 am

Tried the Brown Rice and Red Bean flavor tonight. Reminds me of Rice Chex with extra salt. Feh.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:44 pm

A few weeks ago I got a huge yen for Triscuits -- when I went to the store I was overwhelmed by the choices. I ended up with this and Louise and I both rather enjoyed it but I will believe we were lucky not to get one of the lousy ones.

Nabisco Triscuit Baked Whole Grain Wheat Dill & Olive Oil