Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Look for smaller avocados this year.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Look for smaller avocados this year.

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:51 am

However, we should have more available than usual and selling at a better price. Wonder how they will taste?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08/15/212330603/incredibly-shrinking-avocados-why-this-years-fruit-are-so-tiny
They are coming into San Francisco at this time, have not seen the small ones in our area yet.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Look for smaller avocados this year.

by John Treder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:32 pm

I was in Hiro's, a very good sushi place in Petaluma, a week or two ago, and noticed the chef slicing very small avocados for a California roll. I asked him about it and he shrugged and said, "That's what we're getting."
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:40 pm

My mind is wandering... is this any kind of opportunity? What prep might one do to a small avocado that you could not do to a big one? Can it be cooked in its skin somehow? Marinated? Peeled differently?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:My mind is wandering... is this any kind of opportunity? What prep might one do to a small avocado that you could not do to a big one? Can it be cooked in its skin somehow? Marinated? Peeled differently?

Not sure, but if we can buy 10 of them for a buck, we'd better start thinking. One way I love to eat them is on buttered toast, just chunked enough to stick to the bread. If I have the time I like to brown the butter first....but mornings are busy so I almost never have time for that. I also halve one, sprinkle Maldon's coarse salt and a good balsamic over the top....that is breakfast too.