Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Egg Nog: What's your preference?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Egg Nog: What's your preference?

by Hoke » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Okay, I'll blame Howie, because he brought egg nog up in another thread, so let's play around with how you like your eggnog.

Howie made it very clear that when it comes to holiday eggnog, he'll be imbibing, and he'll be expecting rum to be in that glass as well. Probably with a dash of nutmeg on top, I expect.

Rum is one of the standards for eggnog, sure enough. But it seems that in different parts of the country there are different traditions. Down South you are more likely to encounter bourbon whiskey in the nog. Up in the Upper Northwest, it will probably be brandy--in Wisconsin, they use brandy for everything! Used to be, although not quite so much anymore, if you ordered a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned, you'd get brandy instead of whiskey. Ask Mike Filigenzi about that. :D

So how do you like your egg nog? Virginal? Rum? Brandy? Whiskey? And do you like it gussied up with anything else? Or when they offer egg nog, do you shudder politely and pass on it?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Egg Nog: What's your preference?

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:52 pm

I have made something of a study of eggnog and we at Beaucoin do it this way:

6 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1.88 c powdered sugar (= 1/2#)
1 c rum
1/2 c brandy
3 c heavy cream
1 c milk

In a large bowl, beat yolks until thick and pale yellow. With a whisk, gradually add, in this order: most of the sugar, the milk, half the cream, the rum, the brandy, and the vanilla.

In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, adding the rest of the sugar halfway through. Fold thoroughly into base mixture.

In the same bowl, now beat the remaining cream until stiff, and fold thoroughly into the base mixture.

Cover, chill and age. Something like 12-16 portions.

Note: Make a day or two ahead so the foam can settle. A little aging allows the flavors to blend, which helps this drink a lot. (Some recipes call for a week of aging!)

Note 2: When we serve it we will often add a skoosh of Kahlua or Frangelico to the cup, too.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:02 am

It's all my fault. I patronize a small, local dairy that only sells it's products in 1 qt. glass bottles. They leave you on the honor system to return the bottles. I love their whole milk in my coffee and they make the best chocolate milk. That being said, they have been making eggnog only during the holidays for many years and it has developed a cult following. Every time they make a batch, it sells out quickly. Here is an article about it in the Buffalo News from last year: Hoover's Dairy Eggnog
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:03 am

Hoke wrote:So how do you like your egg nog? Virginal? Rum? Brandy? Whiskey? And do you like it gussied up with anything else? Or when they offer egg nog, do you shudder politely and pass on it?

Shudder and wretch at the mere sight of the stuff!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:11 am

I also have a local dairy farm that makes its own egg nog. It's delicious, and not sickly sweet like supermarket brands. It's so good that I like it straight - no booze at all. I buy exactly 1 quart per year. It's too good - if I buy more I will chug it down.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:26 am

Well, I'm a total weirdo, because I actually like the stuff in the carton from the grocery store because I know it's been pasteurized. I'm not at all a fan of the raw egg taste and "thickness" in the real, homemade stuff. I've even become a fan of the low fat almond milk egg nog. That said, I like it with a generous dose of Captain Morgan original spiced rum and lots of freshly grated nutmeg over the top.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:41 am

I like eggnog, although I rarely make it. When I do, I use a recipe I got from my dad, which I believe originally came from the Gourmet cookbook. It involves a fifth of rum, a fifth of brandy, a dozen eggs, a couple of quarts of milk/cream, and some sugar. It's a sneaky bastard - my dad used to make it every year for their holiday open house, and despite warnings to go easy on it, we often ended up with a person or two snoozing in a chair after the open house was done.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 pm

I've never made eggnog, but used to buy it around Christmas from the store because our kids loved it. My mom used to make Tom and Jerry Batter, is that the same as egg nog? I dug around and found her recipe. The egg nog was super thick, and very tasty, and from the amount of people who came to her Tom and Jerry open house each year, it must have been a favorite for them too. Here is her recipe.

1 dozen eggs, two boxes of powdered sugar. The eggs were gathered the same day from my grandfather's chickens.
Separate eggs, beat yolks until light and stiff. Add enough powdered sugar until too stiff to beat. Add whiskey. Carefully fold in stiffly beaten egg whites, last. Nutmeg was sprinkled over the top.

I'm not sure why it says to add whiskey, because I know she would ask if folks wanted whiskey.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:50 pm

What the hell, man? I just bought my first bottles of Anchor Steam Maple Red Ale and New Belgium "Pumpkick". They're barely
cold and you're already onto egg nog? Wake me when we hit December. ;)
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:My mom used to make Tom and Jerry Batter, is that the same as egg nog?

Almost identical. The only different is that a T&J is usually served hot. T&J are hard to find outside of the northern midwest -- Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.

I'm not sure why it says to add whiskey, because I know she would ask if folks wanted whiskey.

The booze helps to cook (cure) the yolks, changing the very eggy flavor into something more complex. As you can see in my recipe, there's booze in the bowl and then you can also have booze in your glass. It's a holiday, you know.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:32 pm

The booze helps to cook (cure) the yolks, changing the very eggy flavor into something more complex. As you can see in my recipe, there's booze in the bowl and then you can also have booze in your glass. It's a holiday, you know.

Gasp! You mean mom was serving whiskey to us kids! No wonder I have a taste for wine and cocktails. I loved that stuff she made. :lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm not really a fan, but having grown up in Louisville's urban center, which isn't really "Southern" but is most definitely bourbon country, I never knew it was made with anything but bourbon until I got old enough to travel and drink. :lol:
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Hate the drink (or stuff or whatever).