Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I love this time of year

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: I love this time of year

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 am

Thomas wrote:This year, the crop was so large, I will experiment with making pear cider and vinegar, because two people just can't eat them all, and my neighbors have their own.

Chutney?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:09 am

Thomas wrote:I've never thought about it, but you bring out a taste preference that I seem to have across the spectrum. I'm partial to fruits that are semi-ripe, still harboring some of their "green" acidity--a parallel to the wines I prefer.

Next time anyone says I'm inconsistent, I have an example with which to fight back.

Nice.

And actually, another logical inconsistency to my tastes is that while I prefer fruits that are ripe and full of flavor, I prize clarity and cleanliness of flavor/texture above everything. Which is why I would prefer a slightly 'green' fruit from the best farmers market stand to richer but muddled and tired fruit from the supermarket. Which is pretty consistent with my love for mono-cepage wines from the north.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:18 am

I'm very inconsistent on these things: I like my fruit as ripe as possible, mere moments before collapsing under its own succulent mass, but I want vegetables crisp and many of them are best raw. On the protein side, chicken needs to be cooked well, pork/fish middling, and lamb/beef rare. In wine, I drink a wide variety of styles and grapes; I can stand a little brett and VA but I abhor oxidation and overt oakiness.

Not sure I see a pattern. I think my motivations are different for different classes of food: for fruit and wine, my guide is flavor, while for vegetables and protein, my guide is texture.

Or something like that! :D
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:22 am

Vive incohérence!
Thomas P
Previous