Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Marcella Hazan, RIP at 89

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Marcella Hazan, RIP at 89

by Hoke » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:45 pm

She brought a lot of joy to a lot of people, brought a lot of people to the joy of fine Italian cooking and style, and was a powerful life force all in all. Buon Viaggio, Marcella.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Marcella Hazan, RIP at 89

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Love her recipes, personality and darling couple that they are. I did not know for a long time that he translated all her recipes into English.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:44 pm

She will be missed, but fortunately her recipes will live on.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:46 am

Sorry to hear this. I'll bet there'll be a lot of good Italian food made this week in her honor as people hear about this.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:47 am

She was amazing. Her books played a serious role in my own journey to good cooking and fine food. And I couldn't believe it when she became personally active on social media! When I read of her passing I actually felt tears in my eyes. She meant a lot to me. :(

Here's a good NYT report and Bittman-Hazan video interview:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/dinin ... 30930&_r=0
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:49 am

Oh no. I've so enjoyed exchanging notes with her on Facebook--lovely lady. I know she's had a few issues that she has bravely shared, but surely this is sudden and unexpected. She will be greatly mourned.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:16 pm

The cookbooks of Marcella Hazan (RIP), Pierre Franey (RIP) and Jacques Pepin (live long and prosper) have changed my life.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:27 pm

"Tomato sauce with onion and butter." Sounds like an ordinary, perhaps even boring. But Hazan's version is culinary magic. I also use her recipes/procedures for risotto and pesto. Absolutely the foundation of my Italian cooking, such as it is. She'll be missed.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:39 pm

My favorite Marcella recipe, and the one that holds a permanent place in my repertoire, features seared scallops in a sauce made from fresh tomatoes, garlic and fresh rosemary. It's one of my favorite ways ever to prepare fresh scallops.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 am

For those not on Facebook, thought I'd share this heartbreaking post of Victor's:

"This from Victor: I wish Marcella could have seen all the messages, the front-page tribute in the New York Times, all the expressions of affection and respect on this page and in her email and in our mail box, coming from all over the country and over the ocean. I hope to tell you more about the person she was when a degree of composure returns to me. On Sunday morning she was leaving our bedroom on her walker, she called me to say she felt no strength in her legs, I grabbed her in my arms, but she slipped away from them and slipped out of life. There will not ever be another like her."