Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Scrambled eggs ... with cabbage!?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP: Scrambled eggs ... with cabbage!?

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Scrambled eggs ... with cabbage!?

Don't be too quick to assume that this odd-sounding combination won't work! I ran across this recipe in Summer Tomato, a foodie blog that I enjoy, and thought the idea of quickly sauteing thin-sliced cabbage, hitting it with a shot of soy sauce, then gently scrambling fresh free-range eggs around it might be good.

Unable to leave well-enough alone, I kicked Summer Tomato's recipe up a notch or two by building in some aromatic flavors and just a touch of piquant fire to give it a cross-Asian touch that reached from India to South China.

The Summer Tomato recipe is here:
http://summertomato.com/oddly-delicious ... -and-eggs/
My changes involved scenting the oil with a smashed garlic clove (discarded after browning) before I cooked the cabbage; and adding light rations of cumin, turmeric, Madras curry powder, black pepper, sambal oelek and a dash of sesame oil to the eggs, plus 1 tablespoon water for each egg. (I used three eggs and the greater part of a medium-size cabbage to make enough for a light dinner for two, and those portions worked out about right.)

More tips: Slice the cabbage very fine, and brown it over very high heat. then, after you've stirred in the soy sauce, reduce heat to medium low and scramble the eggs gently, slowly, lifting and turning the eggs in large curds as they form up. Pull it from the heat when it's still a bit on the soft side, and carry-over heat should finish them perfectly.

We served this with dinner rolls, and it reminded me a bit of old-style Chinese-American Egg Foo Young. A green salad would have gone well with it, although I claimed there was enough cabbage in there to declare the dish green-veggie healthy without further help.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Scrambled eggs ... with cabbage!?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:57 am

The cabbage-egg combo does sounds a little weird initially, but it actually ought to work pretty well given how you've cooked it up. Sounds delicious!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 pm

My mom used to make scrambled eggs by sauteeing onions first in butter, then drop in the eggs, scramble them a little, then add tomato sauce, S&p. We'd have it in sandwiches or eat it for breakfast. One of my favorite meals growing up.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:My mom used to make scrambled eggs by sauteeing onions first in butter, then drop in the eggs, scramble them a little, then add tomato sauce, S&p. We'd have it in sandwiches or eat it for breakfast. One of my favorite meals growing up.

Karen, that does sound like comfort food! Funny, that reminded me of my parents taking us on breakfast picnics in the park. My dad would build a charcoal fire in a grill and scramble eggs on a big iron skillet on it. I don't know that the eggs actually tasted any different, but I sure thought they did!
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:04 pm

I've made that before without the fancy spices. Really good. I do the same thing with just about any leftover veggie too.

I also like to poach a couple of eggs on top of leftover marinara sauce that I get bubbling in a nonstick skillet with some crushed pepper flakes thrown in. Pop a lid on and cook to desired doneness.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:I also like to poach a couple of eggs on top of leftover marinara sauce that I get bubbling in a nonstick skillet with some crushed pepper flakes thrown in. Pop a lid on and cook to desired doneness.

Oh, yeah! Uova all'Inferno! (Eggs in hell, but I'll bet you already knew that.) I think it's truly an Italian peasant recipe, but somebody like Mario or Giada made it newly famous recently. I definitely like that.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Fred Sipe wrote:I also like to poach a couple of eggs on top of leftover marinara sauce that I get bubbling in a nonstick skillet with some crushed pepper flakes thrown in. Pop a lid on and cook to desired doneness.

Oh, yeah! Uova all'Inferno! (Eggs in hell, but I'll bet you already knew that.) I think it's truly an Italian peasant recipe, but somebody like Mario or Giada made it newly famous recently. I definitely like that.

I make those too. Our eldest son has a client who makes many different pasta sauces, he bottles them with his own label and gives them to friends and family. I love his red sauce made from fresh tomatoes and lots of zucchini, onions, garlic... I poach my eggs in that sauce and we serve it over toasted sourdough. I finish with a sprinkle of fresh basil or parsley. So good! The zucchini is actually still in chunks and I like the texture is gives the sauce. Sometimes, I toss in sweet peppers from my garden, or even a whole Jalapeño or Serrano for an extra kick.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:The cabbage-egg combo does sounds a little weird initially, but it actually ought to work pretty well given how you've cooked it up. Sounds delicious!

It's just fried rice, in a sense, without the rice!

Sounds great to me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Its really just egg foo yung with cabbage instead of bean sprouts, celery etc.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Its really just egg foo yung with cabbage instead of bean sprouts, celery etc.

And without the gravy. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Its really just egg foo yung with cabbage instead of bean sprouts, celery etc.

And without the gravy. :)

I NEVER get gravy on my foo! Can't stand it. Guess that makes me a foo fighter?

The only oriental abortion worse than that gravy is the glow in the dark glutinous syrupy sweet red sauce they seem to think we dumb round eyes expect on just about anything.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Glutinous sweet red sauce--oh, don't get me started. Hate that stuff.

But I would argue that gravy on foo yung is a perfect embellishment (does this make me foo foo?)--but it has to (and can be) a good sauce. That it rarely is doesn't negate the premise.