Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Le Creuset under the broiler?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Le Creuset under the broiler?

by Jon Peterson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Liz is doing a chicken with dumpling dish for dinner this evening in the Le Creuset Dutch Oven. The last instruction says to broil for a minute or two to brown the dumplings. Is this OK for the Dutch Oven? I think so but why not ask here?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Le Creuset under the broiler?

by Carrie L. » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:39 pm

I can't see why not. I often use mine on very high heat on top of my gas stove and have never had issues.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:23 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I can't see why not. I often use mine on very high heat on top of my gas stove and have never had issues.

That's what I was hoping to read, Carrie. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:42 pm

I believe that LC advises against high heat, but to use medium high heat and let the pot do the work.

"Cooking heats

Medium or low heat will provide the best results for cooking, including frying and searing. Allow the pan to heat gradually and thoroughly for even and efficient cooking results. Once the pan is hot, almost all cooking can be continued on lower settings.

High heat temperatures should only be used for boiling water for vegetables or pasta, or for reducing the consistency of stocks or sauces. High heats should never be used to preheat a pan before lowering the heat for cooking. Cast iron retains heat so efficiently that overheating will cause food to burn or stick."

I could not find any reference to using it under a broiler
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I believe that LC advises against high heat, but to use medium high heat and let the pot do the work.

Right, in braises and stews because of the excellent heat retention, but not because the pan couldn't take broiler heat. Broil away, Jon!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:58 pm

I did find reference to broiler useage.....advises to keep 2 1/2 inches of space. Good to know, had never thought of using this product under the broiler.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:34 pm

I've used mine under the broiler for a couple minutes, just to crisp up the top. No problem.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Worked fine under the broiler for just a few minutes and the broiler was on 'Low'.