Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How do I freeze Limoncello?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

How do I freeze Limoncello?

by Tom Troiano » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:29 pm

I was in a restuarant in South Carolina recently where they did oysters on the half shell with a very small dollop of essentially a limoncello sorbet ball. It was fabulous.

So, what do I add to Limoncello to change the freezing point so that it will freeze up like ice cream or sorbet? Do I just go 50/50 Limoncello and sugar water?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: How do I freeze Limoncello?

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:52 pm

If the restaurant you visited is into molecular gastronomy, they may have used liquid nitrogen to freeze it. Not sure offhand if dry ice would do the trick.

Did the frozen limoncello seem as alcoholic as regular limoncello? Another option might be to gently heat it to drive off some of the alcohol and then make up the lost volume with syrup or water.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:05 pm

I would guess it's just a normal lemon sorbet with a couple shots of limoncello for flavor.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Below is a recipe I have used for an alcoholic granita,obviously not limoncello but in a similar vein and perhaps the proportions may help, eg along the lines of Jeff's suggestion of a regular sorbet with booze added.

BTW this is delicious!

Oysters With Bloody Mary Granita

200 ml tomato juice
1 tsp tabasco
2 tsp worcester sauce
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 Tbs vodka
12 oyster, freshly shucked
ice, lemon wedges, to serve
watercress, to garnish

1. Whisk together tomato juice, Tabasco, Worcester sauce, mustards and vodka until combined. Allow to stand for 1 hour. Strain through a sieve discarding solids and pour into a shallow tray. Freeze for 1 hour or until frozen around the edges. Remove the container and stir with a fork, dragging in the frozen edges. Freeze for another hour (stir once during this time) or until set. Scrape with a fork once more until light and fluffy crystals form Cover and keep frozen up to a week. When ready to serve spoon a small amount of granita on each oyster, serve on ice with lemon and watercress garnish.

Servings: 4