Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Stop it with the dates already!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Stop it with the dates already!!!!

by Tom Troiano » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:35 am

I guess we can blame my college. I didn't realize that these have really only been popular since the 1980s. I thought it was much longer.

from wikipedia (so it must be true)

Supersweet corn are varieties of sweet corn which produce higher than normal levels of sugar developed by University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign professor John Laughnan.[3] He was investigating two specific genes in sweet corn, one of which, the sh2 gene, caused the corn to shrivel when dry. After further investigation Laughnan discovered that the endosperm of sh2 sweet corn kernels store less starch and from 4 to 10 times more sugar than normal su sweet corn. He published his findings in 1953, disclosing the advantages of growing supersweet sweet corn, but many corn breeders lacked enthusiasm for the new supersweet corn. Illinois Foundation Seeds Inc. was the first seed company to release a supersweet corn and it was called Illini Xtra Sweet, but widespread use of supersweet hybrids did not occur until the early 1980s. The popularity of supersweet corn rose due to its long shelf life and large sugar content when compared to conventional sweet corn. This has allowed the long-distance shipping of sweet corn and has enabled manufacturers to can sweet corn without adding extra sugar or salt.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I thought her head was going to explode at a farmers' market where this guy was extolling the virtues of modern hybrids with names like Honey & Pearl, Super Sweet and, I swear, something like Candy Corn. :mrgreen:

Read 'em and weep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sweetcorn_varieties
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Read 'em and weep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sweetcorn_varieties

Ha! I did a Cmd-F search for "sugar" and got 13 hits on the page. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Update: I am the designated Charoset Maker for a seder next week. I'm reading up recipes here and there and I just found one that claims 'no no no, you're doing it all wrong unless you add chopped dates!'. :roll:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Jeff, LOL! You're hosed!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Sun May 11, 2014 9:29 pm

I lump dates in with items such as raisins and both are a capital YUCK! :)

I just don't like the chewy things. Dates or raisins in cookies are major turn-offs.

I know, I need to expand my horizons...

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
Previous