Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Are you ready for the coming food prices?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Are you ready for the coming food prices?

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:13 am

With our national cattle herd greatly diminished in size and the continual drought in CA meat and produce prices are going to go sky high. The one positive effect is going to be the increased revenues for out local small farmers and vegetable growers throughout the parts of the country that have an adequate water supply. I wonder how much the price increases will modify the make up of our diets?
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Are you ready for the coming food prices?

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 am

It also raises questions about agencies (food banks, etc.) that provide food for hungry families in poverty. And it might increase rising tensions over growing income inequality.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:36 pm

We grow a great deal of our own produce, and supplement from local farmers during market season, but we are likely to be affected by drought in the Great Plains as well, so this growing season could be tough. The California situation is sad as likely 20,000 jobs will be affected by the drought. Here is an interesting article I read yesterday about the crisis: http://www.npr.org/2014/04/20/304173037/californias-drought-ripples-through-businesses-and-even-schools
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:49 pm

At the risk of starting a war between left and right, green and not, climate change vs. those who don't believe - do desalination plants make sense in California?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:At the risk of starting a war between left and right, green and not, climate change vs. those who don't believe - do desalination plants make sense in California?
Tom, the problem so far has been the cost involved in building and operating the plants. The cost per square acre of treated ocean water has made it prohibitive at this point. There is a plant on the drawing board near San Diego but I am not really well informed enough to discuss this subject. But my interest has been aroused enough to research the subject more because it's something we are probably going to need in the future.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Lou, doesn't Santa Barbara already offset fresh water with a desal plant? I'm thinking they put one in like 15, 20 years ago, not that it changes anything. It just says there's one example (if it's there).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Okay, I was right. Santa Barbara did build one, then it rained--a lot, and was never used. Here's the story on the cost of getting it out of mothballs:

http://www.noozhawk.com/article/santa_barbara_desalination_plant_water_drought_20140131
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Yikes! Expensive!
Tom T.