Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

shad roe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

shad roe

by Frank Deis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:49 pm

I just thought I would mention that my neighbor saw shad roe and picked some up for me.

I know that it appears at wildly various times around the country, but it's here in New Jersey now.

The season is so very short I hate to miss it. It is something I liked as a kid.

I could swear it even came in a can (everyone opened cans for supper in 1959) and that my mom would buy and fry canned shad roe.

But now I only see it fresh and that's only for a few days each spring.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: shad roe

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 pm

thanks for heads up. I love it, and will try to find some as we should be on same schedule.
Though Betsy is less a fan than I am (I like with a mustard sauce)
Got some gorgeous ramps at farmers market last week, excellent ramp/mushroom "risotto" (with barley)
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 pm

The guy who got the roe for me said James Beard says you should aim at under-cooking it. Poach in butter for 7 minutes and then turn over for 7 minutes.

Serve with parsley potatoes and maybe green beans. The roe I got looks great altho of course a bit bloody now...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Wow, that seems long to me. But maybe if poaching at low temps. Pretty sure recipe I used was 3-4 minutes per side, then removed and keeping warm while you stir parsley and mustard into drippings to make a sauce.
Agree key is not to overcook.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Wow, that seems long to me. But maybe if poaching at low temps. Pretty sure recipe I used was 3-4 minutes per side, then removed and keeping warm while you stir parsley and mustard into drippings to make a sauce.
Agree key is not to overcook.

I agree, Dale, grew up on the Susquehanna river catching tons of shad. A light sauté is all that's needed.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:06 pm

This was the best shad roe ever -- I melted about half a stick of butter, didn't get it too hot, laid the roe in, did 5 minutes per side (shorter might have worked but I was seeing red around the edges almost until I stopped cooking. It was just delicious, I think it soaks up some of the butter. Alongside -- green beans with shaved almonds, and a mash of potato and celeriac (put thru a ricer and then cream and butter added). WIth a Puligny Montrachet an elegant little meal!