Perrin “Nature”

Famille Perrin 2018 “Nature” Côtes du Rhône ($12.99)

Perrin "Nature"

This wine shows a pretty garnet color, clear and fairly dark. Good, open scents of ripe raspberries and raspberry liqueur and a subtle touch of licorice lead into a fresh, bright flavor of red and black berries and a dash of white pepper, framed by mouth-watering acidity and gentle but perceptible tannins. It’s a 14.1% alcohol blend of Grenache and Syrah made from certified organically grown grapes, aged for a year with 75% of the wine in stainless steel, the remaining 25% in oak casks. U.S. importer: Vineyard Brands, Birmingham, Ala. (Oct. 28, 2020)

FOOD MATCH: This versatile wine will serve well with red meat or grilled or roast chicken, cheeses, or creamy pasta. It was excellent with takeout dinner from a local diner, an odd mix of a hamburger patty melt, creamy veggie macaroni and cheese, and breaded-and-fried strips of portabello mushroom.

WHEN TO DRINK: Don’t try to cellar it for the ages, but it’s a delight now and likely to remain that way for a few years.

I actually squeaked in a dollar below’s $14 average U.S. retail, but it doesn’t matter. It’s a great bargain below the middle teens, and I’d even pay a few bucks more for it if I had to.

Here’s an English-language fact sheet from Famille Perrin.

Check prices and find vendors for Perrin “Nature” Côtes du Rhône on

Read more about Côtes du Rhône and follow this Wine-Searcher link to browse listings for dozens of other wines from the region.

Join this month’s Wine Focus conversation, Côtes du Rhône and its Villages, in our WineLovers Discussion Group.

Bookmark the permalink.

Read more articles from Tastings

Comments are closed